Friday, December 16, 2005

Twins "nab" Batista

Apparently the Twins had saturated their search for third-basemen here in the MLB and needed to look in another country for their guy. I'm not sure what to think about the pickup. I guess you can look at it as a fairly large upgrade from Terry Tiffee and Cuddyer. I'm fairly certain he comes at a decent price (not sure of the specifics), but it certainly would fit into Grandpa Carl's budgetary stronghold. But on the other hand, if Castillo and Batista are the "two professional hitters" Terry Ryan was talking about early in the offseason, then this squad may be in trouble.

I think at this point if they add either Piazza or Thomas, I could say in earnest, that this was a successful offseason. At this juncture I'm not sure who I'd prefer between the two. Any thoughts?